Sunday 15 November 2009

My tryst with the cricketing GOD.


What could have been an occasion to celebrate on November 15th? Well, nothing as i can remember. But November 15th, 2009 is indeed an occasion to celebrate for the cricketing fraternity, at least. That day when one of the nation's favorite son would have played 20 years of cricket at the highest level one being as dominant as always. 20 years and still counting. At 35, he stands tall and imperious forming the pillar of Indian cricket, scoring humongous amount of runs, making the cricketing world smile with his batting prowess and still being humble as ever. If Google is a habit for many, so is Sachin for the cricketing world. Cricketers in India are like demigods but Sachin stands apart GOD like.

Barring his young flamboyant batting style which has considerably mellowed down, nothing much has changed in the 20 years. People expect the best from Sachin whenever he enters the field; the crowd chants his name when he bowls his arm over and still cheers when the ball goes to him where ever he fields. When Sachin enters the field, he represents every soul in the country. There was a sense of connect when he took his guard, scored his runs, scalped the opposition and executed run outs. As Peter Roebuck rightly said "Sachin is public property and India's proudest possession".

His innings have formed an imprint of sorts in our minds. Whether its his amazing knock as an opener against New Zealand when he changed the perception of opening batting forever, the 1996 world cup innings, the emotional knock when he scored a century and looked up to the heaven's for a while against Kenya immediately after his father's demise in the middle of the world cup, the magnificent 98 against Pakistan in the 2003 world cup, the hero cup win when he bowled the final over in front of the 90,000 crowd at Kolkata, his googly to Moin Khan which changed the course of the match, the back to back centuries at Sharjah in 1998, his match winning knock against England in Chennai after the 26/11 terror attacks or the recent 175 at Hyderabad against Australia. The list goes on. Some of my best Sachin innings were during the India-Australia test series in 1998 when the whole Sachin-Warne dual began followed by a match winning knock in the finals at Sharjah when he hit the straight six off Michael Kasperowicz and another one dancing down the track off Shane Warne straight over the top and the 60 odd runs against Australia at Mumbai in 2001 in the first innings. Personally, my favourite Sachin knock would be the 136 that he scored against Pakistan with excruciating back spasm. India lost the match, Sachin was in tears and so was the entire nation i would believe. I was for sure.



Like most sports fanatics I’ve idolized cricketers and alike and have dreamt of rubbing shoulders with the best in the business. Sachin Tendulkar was obviously on top of my list. Having followed him closely for as long as i can remember, my liking towards the game grew twofold when i saw more of him. One of my best moments was during the opening ceremony at the inaugural season of IPL 2008. All the captains from the eight franchises were called upon to sign the spirit of cricket agreement. As the captain of Mumbai Indians, Sachin was the last to be called upon to sign. The 30,000 crowd at the Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bangalore went berserk, standing in unison, chanting Sachin's name for over two minutes. The atmosphere was magical; I had goose-pimples all over as i stood up in awe and respect for the greatest cricketer to have ever played.

My first encounter with the great man was during the Indian team’s conditioning camp in 2003-04 in Bangalore. Desperately wanting to be part of the camp in any capacity, despite me knowing there wasn't any chance, I'd bunk college and take off to Chinnaswamy stadium to take a glimpse of all the stars, get their autographs, get a picture in their company and if lucky manage to grab some stardust! It was during one of these loitering days at the stadium did i stumble upon the local manager and decided to vent out my desire to be part of the camp. I remember pleading him and promised him that i wasn't like most people who just came for a photograph and that i really wanted to learn something. I think he saw that passion in me and asked me to come over the next day in cricket whites. My joy knew no bounds as i spent the entire night dreaming about myself standing alongside the legends of the game, asking them questions on the game and so on. I had reasons to feel delighted for these are unfulfilled desires for many. And the rest as they say is history as i spent the next three weeks with the Indian cricket team assisting as a wicket-keeper keeping wickets to the Anil Kumble, Harbhajan Singh, Sachin Tendulkar and many others.

While i had a lot of moments that I can cherish, the one i can vividly remember was when Sachin Tendulkar asked me to keep wickets off his bowling after recovering from a shoulder injury. That was when the great man caught me on the wrong foot when i misread a googly for a leg spin delivery. In short, the ball went one way while I went the other way! Sachin offered me a tricksy smile indicative of his mastery over the game which I wholeheartedly accepted. It was just great. As any young cricketer would wish I would handle Sachin's bats when he walked in to the field from the dressing room and vice-versa. Holding those bats had made me quite popular as the crowd gathered inside the stadium would try and get a picture with me! I also remember giving him throw downs as he knocked relentlessly. His work ethic was remarkable as I watched him from close quarters. Few days passed by and little did I know I would be getting Sachin's batting gloves signed "Best Wishes". It was a gift from GOD. The next day I would present him an audio cassette comprising of the best Kishore Kumar collection and I remember him putting it inside his handbag. It wouldn't have mattered to him probably, but it was a small token of appreciation from me - a one among the billions of fans who idolized him.

Many talk about Sachin's elephantine like memory. For he remembers every moment, every knock of his and I can recall an incident which I was part off which was quite embarrassing. Two years later when the Australian team was in India for a five match ODI series. I would manage to sneak through the gates in my cricketing whites to assist the Australian team if I got lucky. I did get lucky as I kept wickets at their practice session. It was then when i bumped into Sachin. I met Javagal Srinath, whom i also knew as a friend in the dressing room. I was greedy to get more of Sachin. I asked Srinath if I could get a bat from Sachin if possible. Sachin would tell Srinath later - "isko mein pichle baar mera gloves diya tha" (meaning I had given him my gloves last time). I was shocked!! That he had remembered giving his gloves to me when we met two years back was beyond my imagination. Trust me its no exaggeration.





No doubt even the greatest of sportsmen haven't been spared of criticisms. Sachin is no exception. Despite the obstacles, shouldering over billions of expectations, trying to give his best every time is in itself a remarkable feat. Yet, as he exceeds all expectations, the world over has an insatiable appetite when it comes to Sachin Tendulkar. Everyone wants more of the little master. His work ethic is something which stands out even to this day making him what he is. For me, it couldn't have been any better as I thoroughly enjoyed watching and spending every moment I could with a man whom the whole world adored.

Wishing him the very best and hope he continues to enthrall and create magic time and again, for one never gets tired of him. A true legend, indeed.

Thank you, Sachin Tendulkar!

No comments: